The Astra Militarum is the implacable military arm of the Imperium, and one of the largest forces in the galaxy. On thousands of battlefields scattered throughout the galaxy, the soldiers of the Astra Militarum march to war. They are the Hammer of the Emperor, who with faith, fury and sheer weight of numbers crush heretics and xenos alike beneath their boots. Massed ranks of Guardsmen unleash concentrated salvoes of las-blasts while officers bellow orders over the thunderous roar of tank and artillery fire.
Codex: Astra Militarum contains a wealth of background and rules – the definitive book for Astra Militarum collectors. Within this 144-page hardback, you’ll find:
- Hammer of the Emperor: the origins of the Astra Militarum – dating back to the Great Crusade – with details of their structure and organisation, the methods of recruiting (some more humanitarian than others…), their training and deployment;
- A Galaxy of War: an annotated map of the current state of the galaxy, with key war zones where the Astra Militarum battle;
- Detailed background and colour schemes of the Astra Militarum regiments of Cadia, Catachan, Armageddon, Vostroya, Vahalla and Tallarn;
- Regiments of Distinction: background on 12 regiments – Armageddon Ork Hunters, Athonian Tunnel Rats, Miasman Redcowls, Mordian Iron Guard, Tanith First and Only, Savlar Chem-Dogs, Ventrillian Nobles, Indigan Praefects, Mordant Acid-Dogs, Faeburn Vanquishers, Truskan Snowhounds and Vresh Grenadiers;
- Heroes Beyond Number: a history of the major battles fought by the Astra Militarum;
- Background and details on each character, vehicle and unit available to an Astra Militarum army;
- A showcase of beautifully painted Citadel miniatures, depicting the colour schemes of several regiments painted by the renowned ‘Eavy Metal team – including expertly-converted models showing you how to represent the more esoteric regiments on the gaming table.
Everything you need to get an Astra Militarum army primed for games of Warhammer 40,000 is in here:
- 56 datasheets containing rules for every Astra Militarum unit and vehicle;
- Army abilities reflecting the Astra Militarum’s methods of war, including Astra Militarum Orders and Regimental Orders;
- Armoury of the Imperium: wargear both ranged and close-combat used by the Astra Militarum;
- Points values for all miniatures, weapons and wargear for use in Matched Play games;
- Bulwark of Humanity: rules for Battle-forged armies:
- Regimental Doctrines for Cadian, Catachan, Valhallan, Vostroyan, Armageddon, Tallarn, Mordian, Militarum Tempestus Regiments;
- 6 unique Warlord Traits,
- 25 Stratagems, with 8 specific to the Regiments named above;
- the Heirlooms of Conquest: a selection of rare wargear;
- The Psykana psychic discipline, available to any Astra Militarum model with the Psyker keyword,
- 6 Warlord Traits for use by any Warlord, with a further specific to the above-named Regiments;
- 6 unique Tactical Objectives.
Chapter Approved 2019 is the essential gaming toolbox for all Warhammer 40,000 fans. Whether you're looking to compile all of the rules that have featured in White Dwarf magazine throughout the year, or are looking for something new to expand your gaming experience, this is the perfect gaming supplement for you! Inside this 112-page softback book, you'll find:
- Rules for Spearhead – an expansion centred around tanks and vehicular combat
- Guidelines for linking your games of Warhammer 40,000: Kill Team, Warhammer 40,000 and Warhammer 40000: Apocalypse
- Loads of new Missions as well as updates to terrain rules and datasheets for certain Chaos Daemons units
- And much, much more…
In addition, you'll also find a separate 56-page book containing all the latest matched play points updates, painstakingly balanced and tuned in conjunction with major tournament organisers and our playtesters.
Whether you like to experiment with new rules, missions and expansions, or combine your campaigns like never before – however you play, Chapter Approved has something for you and is a fitting guide to another incredible year of Warhammer 40,000.
Designed to make it easier to keep track of Tactical Objectives, psychic powers and Stratagems in games of Warhammer 40,000, this set of 89 cards – each featuring artwork on the reverse – is an indispensable tool in the arsenal of any Astra Militarum gamer. Included:
- 7 psychic power cards - 6 from the Psykana psychic discipline, along with Smite;
- 25 Astra Militarum Stratagems available to any Battle-forged Astra Militarum army as found in Codex: Astra Militarum including 8 which are Regiment-specific, along with 3 Stratagems – Command Re-roll, Counter-Offensive and Insane Bravery – from the Warhammer 40,000 rules, available to any army;
- 18 Order cards;
- 36 Tactical Objectives, including the 6 Astra Militarum-specific Objectives from Codex: Astra Militarum.
Infantry Squads form the backbone of the Astra Militarum, and countless billions of infantry soldiers fight and die for the Imperium. In the face of the enemy the serried ranks of the Imperial Guard are trained to stand firm and respond with a steady aim – when sergeants bellow the rank and file obey; backs stiffen and lasguns level with the foe. Opponents charging at Imperial Guard positions must first survive a blazing hail of lasfire, a fusillade that can stem the tide of all but the most determined assault.
This set contains 10 Guardsmen, and includes 5 leg variants, 7 head variants, 10 lasguns, 2 chainswords, 2 laspistols, 2 grenade launchers, 2 flamers and 2 Vox-casters. Also included are a host of additional accessories allowing you to assemble a Sergeant and customise your squad.
This kit is supplied as 98 plastic components and comes with 10 Citadel 25mm round bases.
The Tempestus Scions are amongst the finest human warriors in the galaxy. They are fanatically dedicated to the act of following their orders - even if it may result in their own deaths - and often complete missions so dangerous that they would be deemed suicidal for a regular guardsman.
This box contains everything you need to make a 5 man Militarum Tempestus Scions squad armed with hot-shot lasguns. You have the option to use a combination of 17 heads (8 with respirators and 9 with berets) and ammo pouches, knives, grenades and canteens to fully customise your miniatures.
If you choose to build a squad of Tempestus Scions you have the option to upgrade 1 model to be a Tempestor. The Tempestor has a fantastic array of weapons options. The right hand can be equipped with a powerfist, chainsword or power sword, and you can choose to upgrade the left handed laspistol to a bolt pistol or a plasma pistol.
You have the option to replace the hot-shot lasguns with a choice of five additional special weapons: a plasma gun, meltagun, grenade launcher, flamer or hot-shot volley gun. This kit also includes a vox-caster backpack which allows one of your Tempestus Scions to fulfil the role of Vox-cast operator.
This kit can also be assembled as a Tempestus Scions Command Squad. It is supplied unpainted and requires assembly - we recommend using Citadel Thin Plastic Glue and Citadel Paints.
There is no time for peace. No forgiveness. No respite. There is only war.
After more than forty thousand years of war and strife among the stars, Humanity stands on the brink of extinction. Beset on all sides by hostile aliens and threatened from within by traitors, Humanity’s only chance for survival rests with the continuation of the cruel and bloody regime known as the Imperium. Yet few among Mankind’s untold population realise the full truth of their situation. If there is any future at all, it is a grim one…
A 280-page hardback, this is the essential book for any fan of Warhammer 40,000 – everything you need to know to collect, build, paint and play with Citadel miniatures.
The Core Rules explain everything you need to play to play Warhammer 40,000. Moving, shooting, using psychic powers, charging, fighting and morale tests are covered, giving you the basic framework to play with. You can play a game using only these 8 pages, bolting on more advanced and complex rules when you and your opponent are ready.
Three Ways to Play
- Open Play – pick some models, put them on the table and begin a game. This is the most flexible approach, designed with near-limitless possibilities; all you need is some models, their datasheets and the core rules. Included are some themes and ideas you can use or build upon to add atmosphere to your games, and 3 example missions.
- Narrative Play – Warhammer 40,000 has a vast, rich history with countless epic battles. Narrative Play is designed to let you and your friends re-enact those battles at your leisure. There are special rules to help you do this, such as Concealed Deployment and unpredictable, random battle lengths, and the book includes several missions - 6 Crucible of War missions and 1 Echoes of War mission, each showing you how to play in this style.
- Matched Play – for many players, Warhammer 40,000 is an opportunity to prove their mettle with tactics and strategy, an exercise in out-thinking and out-gunning their opponent with balanced, equal armies: Matched Play is for them. There are several ways to ensure that your forces are balanced against each other – a points limit is the typical way, but the system is flexible enough to allow armies based on unit numbers, Power Ratings, Wounds; as long as your limits are agreed, the possibilities are manifold. This book provides details on choosing your armies, and provides missions as examples of the tactical challenges available: 6 Eternal War and 6 Maelstrom of War missions, with explanations covering the use of Tactical Objectives.
While the Core Rules provide with you with everything needed to play, the Advanced Rules are a selection of rules and expansions that can be used to play with your miniatures the way that you want to. With these rules, there are always new challenges to face, new battles to fight, and new ways to play:
- Battle-Forged Armies: organise your models in a way that reflects the armies of Warhammer 40,000 – this places restrictions on your army, but makes up for it with powerful benefits, which use a system of Command Points;
- Battlefield Terrain: rules for a variety of terrains (Woods, Ruins, Barricades, Obstacles, Imperial Statuary, Fuel Pipes, Battlescape and Hills), each of which introduce scenarios and opportunities that change the nature of battle;
- Battlezones: rules for fighting amidst the effects of otherworldly environments, including low visibility, beneath an apocalyptic orbital battle and in the middle of a devastating psychic maelstrom;
- Planetstrike: slam down from orbit in a terrifying planetary assault. Two players are separated into Attacker and Defender, with scenarios that play out a full incursion and a Planetfall mission;
- Cities of Death: street fighting in the ruins of a shattered city, with buildings bitterly fought over – the claustrophobia of urban warfare makes for tense battles with snipers and grenades coming to the fore. Includes a Firesweep mission for playing out room-to-room combat;
- Stronghold Assault: dig in for a game of fortified siege warfare. One player seeks to overwhelm the prepared defences of another, with a Bunker Assault mission included;
- Death From the Skies: dogfighting for your Flyer models, allowing the recreation of epic clashes above the battlefield. A Tactical Strike mission involves a defence against a bombing run;
- Multiplayer Battles: rules accommodating three (or more!) players, with an example of a multiplayer battle to work from;
- Campaigns: an overview of linking your games into Tree, Matrix and Map campaigns.
The book contains a full detailing of the state of the galaxy after the events of the Gathering Storm – the major players, the struggles they face and the sheer grimness of eternal war, as Chaos threatens to engulf Humanity.
The Imperium of Man
Details of the various worlds within the Imperium, explanations of the Ecclesiarchy – the official state religion of the Imperium, and the Ages of Mankind, with maps of important locations within the galaxy showing in stark detail how the Great Rift may have doomed Humanity forever.
There’s also an in-depth account of the current state of the Imperium – the increased threat from Chaos and the steps being taken in order to counter them.
The Forces of Chaos
You’ll find an explanation of the Chaos Gods – who they are, their motivations and their methods – along with the vile armies of the Heretic Astartes: Space Marines, once loyal, who now blindly follow the corrupt lure of Chaos, debasing themselves in battle for their dark masters.
The Xenos Threat
This book provides an overview of the major alien antagonists who populate the galaxy – the Aeldari (Craftworld, Harlequins, Ynnari and Drukhari), Necrons, Orks, Tyranids, Genestealer Cults and T’au Empire. Each of these includes their backstory and guides to their equipment, hierarchies and weapons of war.
Chapter Approved 2018 is the essential gaming toolbox for all Warhammer 40,000 fans. Whether you're a loremaster looking to build rich campaigns to matched play maniacs looking for the latest balance updates, or just looking for something completely new, there's something inside to pique your interest. Inside this year’s copy, you’ll find:
- The full beta codex for the Sisters of Battle, letting you join in with the world’s biggest playtest as well as trying the new rules early!
- New profiles, rules and matched play points for the Eight - Commander Farsight’s battlesuit-armoured elite.
- A section on Looted Wagons that lets you design and convert any kind of ramshackle Ork vehicle you can imagine then use it in open play
- The latest matched play points updates, painstakingly balanced and tuned in conjunction with major tournament organisers and our playtesters.
- And much, much more…
Experiment with new rules, build your own characters, try new missions - however you play, Chapter Approved has something for you and is a fitting guide to another incredible year of Warhammer 40,000.
Book 5 of the Psychic Awakening Series
The epic Psychic Awakening series continues with The Greater Good. This campaign book features a host of new rules for the T’au Empire and Genestealer Cults. The campaign book also tells a sweeping narrative recounting the many unexpected challenges that the exploration fleets of the Fifth Sphere Expansion encountered as they journeyed beyond the Startide Nexus.
Inside this 80-page book, you'll find:
- Exciting background information on how the T'au sought to bring numerous disenfranchised Imperial worlds into the Greater Good, while having to deal with stoic Astra Militarum defenders and Genestealer Cult insurrections along the way
- Missions that allow you to recreate some of the most pivotal battles during the conflict, and war zones that let you bring your battles to some of the most distinctive sites that were fought over
- Expanded army rules for the T’au Empire, Astra Militarum and Genestealer Cults, including Warlord Traits, Stratagems, Relics, and psychic powers
- Rules for creating your own Sept Tenets, Regimental Doctrines and Cult Creeds!